As a substitute, I was known for my bag of tricks. One of which was riddles. Occasionally, there’ll be some time left over, and not wanting the kids to go haywire, I would present riddles. It gave them a chance to do something fun while still using their brain.
So I wanted to share my favorite riddles to present to them (9-13 year olds):
- The more you take, the more you leave behind. What am I?
- Feed me and I live. Yet give me a drink and I die. What am I?
- Forward I am heavy, backward I am not. What am I?
- I am an odd number. Take away a letter and I become even. What number am I?
- What is always on its way but never arrives?
- What is light as a feather, but even the world’s strongest man couldn’t hold it for more than a minute?
- He who makes it has no need of it. He who buys it has no use for it. He who uses it does not know it. What is it?
- (my favorite to really wrack their brain) What 8 letter word can have a letter taken away and it stills makes a word. Take another letter away and it still makes a word. Keep on doing that until you have one letter left. What is the word?
Just something I wanted to put out there for other subs if they want it.
P.S. The answers:
- Footsteps–2. Fire–3. Ton–4. Seven–5. Tomorrow–6. Breath–7. Coffin–8. Starting, staring, string, sting, sing, sin, in, I